With 2018 quickly drawing to a close (how is that possible?!), I want to end the year on a high note with an easy party appetizer. Use it on New Year’s, for the Big Game, for Cinco de Mayo or just because. In fact, I often prepare it as a main meal.
That’s when I know I’ve hit on an especially good recipe… when I want to make – and eat – it over and over and over again!
It’s why I featured as one of the 6 Day Sugar Buster Bootcamp. Plus it’s an example of how party foods can be fun and healthy. It’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser and you can make it ahead of time.
Because that’s my mission.
I want you to feel excited about foods that taste yummy, fuel your body to carry out your mission and are easy to prepare.
Here’s the breakdown in rainbow technicolor:
- Red: Cherry tomatoes (antioxidants, vitamins A, C, K + potassium)
- Orange: Peppers (antioxidants, vitamins A, C, E, K1 + potassium)
- Yellow: Corn (vitamin C, folate, thiamin, phosphorus + magnesium)
- Light Green: Cilantro (antioxidants, vitamins A, C, E, K, calcium, iron, potassium + magnesium_
- Dark Green: Kale (antioxidants, vitamins A, B6, C, K, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium + potassium – did someone say superfood?)
- “Blue:” Black beans (antioxidants, vitamin B1, copper, manganese, phosphorus, protein, magnesium + iron)
- Purple: Red onion (antioxidants, vitamins B1, B6, C, copper, dietary fiber, manganese phosphorus, potassium, folate)
- White: Garlic (vitamins B1, B6, C, manganese, copper, selenium, phosphorus, and calcium)
- I love serving this with organic blue corn chips. Organic, because no GMO is the way to go. And blue because it complements the dip’s bright colors nicely.
- Start by arranging the dip in a rainbow color wheel before setting it on the table as bright centerpiece. Then mix once most of the guests arrive.
- Use a white bowl or platter to help the colors of the dip pop.
- While you can mix the entire dip up to a day ahead of time, you also have the option of making the dressing separately and mixing it just before serving.
This vegan black bean dip is an easy party appetizer that is a crowd pleaser and can be made ahead of time.
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced orange peppers
- 1 cup organic corn
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1.5 cups chopped kale
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 cup black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4-1 tsp salt
Mix lime juice, cumin and salt in a small bowl or jar. Mix up remaining ingredients in a bowl. Either add dressing and mix immediately or store separately and mix just before serving.
See post for serving suggestions.
Hunting for other easy party appetizers that are chock full of the nutrients your body needs to shine? Try these ones: