As we’re learning, life in high school is busy…especially when you throw in sports. It usually makes for a long day and a late arrival home.
To brighten up my daughter’s long day and making snacking on the run easier, I whipped up these matcha coconut lime energy bites – a nod to her chosen sport this season and because matcha naturally boosts energy. It also helps with mental alertness, has antioxidant powers (hello bright green powder!), boosts the immune system and cardiovascular health and can fight infections – which gives it an A+ in my books.
This was my first time trying matcha after hearing of it several years ago on Kathy Patalsky’s blog, Healthy Happy Life. Yep, even thought I’m a tea drinker, it took me this long to try it since it’s more expensive than the tea I normally buy, but happily, I found that a little goes a looong way. And I’m excited to experiment and see what this does for my own energy.
If you’ve never tried matcha, it tastes like green tea because it is, um, green tea, but carries greater health benefits. If you want to learn more about its history, how it’s grown and it’s properties, click here.
Making these game, set, matcha energy bites is as easy as 1-2-3. Just thoroughly mix the ingredients in a food processor, form into bite-sized balls and coat in unsweetened shredded coconut since the batter is very sticky. You could coat them in matcha powder as I did here, but that amount of undiluted matcha powder carries a bitter overtone. So unless you don’t mind a little bitter with you no-added-sugar sweet, I’d stick with the unsweetened coconut.
Speaking of sweet…as with most of my recipes, these energy bites do not have any energy-sapping, immune suppressing added sugar! They also work for gluten-free and paleo diets since they are free from grains.
These coconut lime energy bites carry the subtle flavor of green tea and are perfect for hectic days when you're on the go and need a natural boost of energy.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 medjool dates
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- 1.5 tsp matcha powder
- 1 scoop 100% pure stevia powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more for coating)
- 2 pinches salt
Pit the dates, then put all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender and mix until thoroughly combined and the cashews have mostly been chopped into very fine pieces. Since the mixture is very sticky, keep your hands slightly wet with water to form the bite-size balls. Place additional coconut in a plastic bag, drop in each energy bite one at a time and shake to coat. For best results, refrigerate for at least one hour before eating.
Can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for several days.
It's best to buy Medjool dates with the pits still in them as they tend to stay juicer than when the pits are removed. Make sure you are using 100% PURE stevia - read the ingredients closely! - as most stevia powders have added sweeteners and/or artificial ingredients.
(contains affiliate links which help fund this blog at no cost to you ? )
- Click here for my favorite food processor
- Since this was my first time trying matcha, I purchased a small amount from Whole Foods. But you can find it cheaper here and in a larger quantity
- Happily, Aldi has been carrying Medjool dates lately, but you can also find them here.
- Pure stevia: It’s critical to use 100% pure stevia with no additives or fillers. I get mine at Trader Joe’s, but try the NOW BetterStevia™ Organic Zero Calorie Powdered Sweetener — 1 oz brand here. Even though it appears pricey, a little goes a looong way, and my container lasted me for several years! This link will save you $5 on your order…comment or message me if you want to know which products I stock up on to get the free shipping
Tired of struggling with your addiction to sugar? Afraid that life will be so...depressing without it?
What if I told you that you could immediately start cutting back on your sugar consumption and you wouldn't even miss it?!
Sound too good to be true?
You see, food manufacturers slip sugar into their recipes because it keeps you addicted and craving more of their product. Creepy, right? But for many of these products, added sugar has no business being there in the first place and you won't even miss it if it's gone!
That's why I've create a list of
It's 100% free for you to download when you sign on for VIP access to my newsletter.
PLUS, I have two additional bonuses in the works when you sign up for this list in April:
- a "level up" list of sugar free foods where you will probably notice a difference in taste but it will still feel similar to the products you are used to consuming
- a Sneaky Snacks recipe book containing some of my favorite added sugar free desserts and snacks that are easy to make + fun to eat.
How do you become a VIP and gain access to all these goodies? It's easy!
Simply fill out your name and email address and click the "GET MY FREE DOWNLOAD" button. And that's it.